Monday, May 26, 2008

Staycation

Phillip and I just got back from our last trip as non-parent folk.  We went to this amazing wonderland called Houston.  We never really go to Houston, which is silly really, so we decided that needed to change.  
On Friday headed downtown to take Will to his first baseball game (but not before Phillip put in some quality time at the flying saucer tasting local IPAs).  It was a really great game.  I have to admit that I broke the no Nitrates rule and ate a hot dog, but hey it wasn't a foot long, and my doc said that the occasional preservative was no biggie.  



We stayed at the Inn at the Ballpark and are now and forever spoiled by the convenience of walking across the street to go home for the night.  It is a great hotel and yes, we swiped all of the Aveda goodies from the room!
We spent Saturday morning at the zoo.  Phillip and I were members of the Memphis zoo when we lived there and have missed it terribly.  We had a great time ooing and ahhing with all of the other kids there.  Here are a couple of pictures of the baby giraffes.




The monkeys were great, but their area was also home to thousands of nesting birds... which lead to the inevidible... but it was Phillip who became their target, not me (um we don't have a picture of the poo, just me pointing at all of the nests.)

Here are some other fun zoo pictures.  My favorite is the one that Phillip took of me resting by the trash can (no I am not leaning against the trash can, that would be gross).  It was so hot and flipflops are not the best things for a prego woman to wear, so I learned.


bug vision

We had lunch in the Heights at Onion Creek, a really neat place with lots of character. I loved the place. Phillip was ready to pack up and move into the neighborhood.  We stayed at Hotel Derek in the galleria area, which was very posh with that cool minimalist flair.  We ate a great dinner at the Backstreet cafe.
We were supposed to go to Kemah (I don't really know how that is spelled and I am too tired to look it up) on Sunday but we woke up to rain.  We caught breakfast at the Buffalo grill and then headed to Katy Mills mall to watch a movie (I know, seems random).  I was pretty delighted to see this new ad for HSM the movie and I couldn't miss the opportunity to get my picture snapped with Troy, Gabriella, and the gang! (It is a long running joke... too long).  

We cheered through Indiana Jones then ate a late lunch at the Rainforest cafe, which we think Will appreciated.  We are trying to check out places that we think he will like, you know get a jump start on this whole "mom and dad" thing.
We had lots of fun on our "staycation," I highly recommend the city of Houston to anyone looking to make a weekend getaway!

2 comments:

Jesse and Dori said...

Looks like ya'll had fun in H town for your last little pre-baby get away! I love going to zoo's as well. Glad you guys had a good time!
Dori

The Wells Family said...

wow - yall did houston right!
you'll have to come again and the babies can play...